Last Updated on January 5, 2021
Enrique Tarrio, the leader of the Proud Boys, has been ordered by a judge to stay out of Washington DC following his arrest by DC Police on Monday.
The Associated Press reported on Tuesday that Tarrio, the director of the grassroots organisation Latinos for Trump who has been leading the Proud Boys since 2018, now has a court order forbidding him to enter Washington DC, apart from meeting with his attorney or appearing in court.
As National File reported, Tarrio was arrested and charged with destruction of property on Monday after he admitted responsibility to burning a Black Lives Matter banner at a DC church when he was last in the capital in December last year.
Joe Biggs, a representative for the Proud Boys, told National File at the time that the charges brought against Tarrio are “BS”:
The left have destroyed our property for years and no police have ever helped. This is an atrocity and an American embarrassment. Enrique is a patriot and hero. Left wing politicians have called for us to be attacked in public. We have been stalked, driven over and even assassinated without getting any justice for us. This marks the death of a once great nation. This week America died.
The Proud Boys leader was expected to attend the protests in the capital on Wednesday during the joint session of Congress to deal with the certification or rejection of Electoral College votes from November’s presidential election. Writing on Parler, Tarrio said that the Proud Boys will “turn out in record numbers on Jan 6th”, calling members of the Proud Boys “the most notorious group of extraordinary gentlemen”.
The group gained national attention when President Trump refused to condemn them when asked to by Vice President Biden during the first presidential debate in September. “Proud Boys?” President Trump said. “Stand back and stand by, but I’ll tell you what, somebody’s got to do something about antifa and the left because this is not a right wing problem.”
National File reached out to Tarrio and the Proud Boys for comment, but were told that neither he nor the group would not comment on the case until Thursday at the earliest.