Last Updated on November 11, 2020
Democrats are scrambling to explain the historic emergence of Latino Trump voters in 2020. The blue-check Twitterati consensus suggests that broad swathes of the Hispanic community are either “white” or aspire to “whiteness”.
There is a simpler explanation: Vice President Joe Biden promised a radical left-wing agenda that ruined the ancestral nations of many Latino Trump voters.
For example, Biden infamously refused to rule out packing the Supreme Court. That would mean increasing the number of justices for the first time since 1869 to instantly create a left-wing majority.
In 2004, then-President Hugo Chávez packed the Supreme Court of Venezuela. That marked a deathblow to the rule of law in that country.
It also marked just a dozen years before nationwide social and economic collapse, which saw millions of starving Venezuelans butchering pets, rodents and even zoo animals for food.
Here is a brief overview of the painful socialist history that Venezuelan-American Trump voters brought with them to the ballot box:
- In 2012, eight years after packing the Supreme Court, Venezuela banned all private firearm ownership.
- In the two years following that, the Venezuelan government directly armed “colectivos“. These socialist “collectives” are pro-regime Communist militias and street gangs similar to Antifa in the United States.
- In 2016, the regime declared a state of emergency and officially suspended constitutional rights.
- In 2017, the “packed” Venezuelan Supreme Court stripped the National Assembly of legislative powers and took those powers for itself.
- And in 2019 Venezuelan soldiers opened fire on innocent civilians to keep them from receiving humanitarian aid.
- In the past half-dozen years, over five million Venezuelans fled their country. So many children have died of malnutrition that the government banned coroners from listing it on a child’s death certificate.
It’s worth noting that Hugo Chavez and Nicolás Maduro, the successive socialist dictators of Venezeula, both had friendly relations with the American Democratic Party as well as hangers-on like Sean Penn, Michael Moore and Oliver Stone – who droolingly eulogized Chavez in 2013. In fact, Chavez endorsed Barack Obama for President in 2012 and Maduro endorsed Bernie Sanders for President in 2016.
Beyond Biden’s failure to condemn radical policies like court-packing, his stated agenda and rhetoric had plenty of overlap with the “Chavismo” that over five million Venezuelans fled.
Like Chavez, Biden ran as a “progressive” – and even said “I’m gonna be good to go down as one of the most progressive presidents in American history.” Trump Campaign attack ads capitalized on this to devastating effect.
Biden’s Green New Deal alone is a nightmare to many survivors of socialism especially because, as its architect admitted, it was originally designed solely as a blueprint for ending capitalism in America.
Of course, Venezuelan-Americans or so-called “white Cubans” (like this author) aren’t alone in feeling this way. The reality is that the Venezuelan and Cuban populations in Texas and Arizona, where President Trump won record support from Latino voters, are negligible – practically all of us live in Florida.
In order to win the margins he did in the states he did, the President had to have made massive inroads among Mexican-Americans and other Central-American communities.
So there’s really no need to go searching for racial explanations for why Latino Trump voters exist. Biden’s record speaks for itself.