Last Updated on September 28, 2019
A vegan student claims she is now traumatised after the British bakery chain Greggs accidentally served her a sausage roll instead of the vegan alternative.
My heart starts beating like madness. Heart palpitations like I was running somewhere or something. And then my stomach started turning upside down, I was like “woah, what’s going on, this only happens when I consume meat.” My body is poisoned for life now, you know. I haven’t had meat in two years. My belly started hurting and my heart started going crazy… If I was allergic to pork or any of the ingredients that were inside that dirty sausage, I literally could have died. Some people, namely meat eaters, might think I’m over exaggerating but I could have died… It’s my choice not to consume meat because it causes cancer. That choice has been taken away from me.
She was initially offered a £2 refund for the snack, but refused, and was later offered a £30 voucher and a letter of apology by upper management instead. She also refused this, and instead wants a public apology.
[A public apology would] make people aware that they should watch out for things like this. I’m traumatised for life now – I’m never going to Greggs again.
A shift-manager at the store said that their policy is to “offer the customer a refund straight away,” and if that’s not accepted, they would be put through to their head office. “She definitely received an apology,” he added. A spokesman for Greggs told Kent Live that they were aware of the incident and were investigating:
We have apologised to the customer for this incident. We are investigating to ensure this situation can be avoided in the future.