As Facebook and Twitter come under fire for overtly censoring the Hunter Biden scandal, arguably the biggest political story of the last 50 years, new information reveals Facebook is using Chinese nationals to head-up their “Hate Speech Engineering” team.
The Hate Speech Engineering team – which is primarily tasked with what, in the end, constitutes censorship of certain political posts, is mostly located deep inside the secured floors of Facebook’s Seattle and has a staff that includes six Chinese nationals holding H-1B visas.
— Newt Gingrich (@newtgingrich) October 22, 2020
These six Chinese nationals include:
- A research scientist who earned his master’s degree in computer engineering from the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing
- A software engineer for machine learning who earned his master’s degrees in computer science from Jilin University in northeast China
- An engineering manager who earned his degree in computer science at Nanjing University in eastern China
- A software engineer who worked for the Communist-backed communication conglomerate Huawei (a company sanctioned by the US)
- A software engineer who worked for the Beijing National Railway & Design Institute of Signal & Communication
The work these Chinese nationals perform is extremely complex. It centers on machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI); teaching “computers how to learn and act without being explicitly programmed.”
Facebook uses this knowledge and technology to manipulate your newsfeeds, pushing content that they want to diminish further down your newsfeed where many seldom go. With each new piece of code successfully created, the scientists receive discretionary bonuses.
A former Facebook insider took the New York Post’s Sohrab Ahmari on a ride through the process. Ahmari explained that they manipulate the content we see using machine-learning algorithm and neural networks that determine the ranking of the items and ferret out what Facebook calls “borderline content”, which is tantamount to censored by its diminishment in the newsfeed rankings.
“What they don’t do,” Ahmari said the insider told him, “is ban a specific pro-Trump hashtag…[Instead] content that is a little too conservative, they will down-rank. You can’t tell it’s censored.”
Ahmari writes in his column, “the trouble is that the society they might return to already deploys one of the most comprehensive and fine-tuned intellectual control mechanisms on its own population. What’s to stop Facebook’s Chinese engineers from delivering their Facebook expertise to Xi Jinping?”
Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO), addressing the issue, said “[T]his is all the more reason for the Senate to demand that Mark Zuckerberg – under oath and before the election – give an account of what Facebook has been up to.”
— Josh Hawley (@HawleyMO) October 21, 2020