Nick Fuentes has trended on Twitter following his ban, with many conservative commentators defending him, while others celebrated his permanent suspension.
Fuentes, the host of America First, was permanently banned from Twitter on Friday, following smears from the ADL and SPLC, as National File reported. National File reached out to Twitter to query exactly why Fuentes had been banned. However, Twitter were not open in their response. “The account you referenced (@NickJFuentes) was permanently suspended for repeated violations of the Twitter Rules,” a spokesman said, refusing to specify which rules Fuentes had allegedly broken, and confirmed that they would not discuss anything more regarding his ban at this time.
The SPLC and its journalists took credit for the censorship of Fuentes from Twitter earlier today with their own tweets that appeared to mock the 22-year-old’s loss of his Twitter account. “Following Fuentes’s ban, the SPLC, whose article was far more focused on Fuentes’s relationship and interactions on Twitter than the ADL’s hit piece, claimed a victory and took credit for his permanent suspension,” National File noted.
Following his suspension, Fuentes trended on Twitter, hitting number 3 in the United States. Reactions to his ban among America First conservatives was unsurprisingly strong, with many noting that Big Tech would not stop with banning him.
Big Tech wields its power arbitrarily, often working with shadowy nonprofits to decide who is allowed to speak and who is not. Silicon Valley’s minions should not have this much power. Organizations like the ADL should not have this much power. Nick Fuentes should not be banned.
— The Columbia Bugle 🇺🇸 (@ColumbiaBugle) July 9, 2021
Nick Fuentes did not deserve to be suspended from Twitter. I don't care what you think about the guy, but megacorporations should not have the right to silence people's free speech, no matter how controversial it is.
It starts with him, and ends with YOU! Remember that.
— Red Eagle Politics (@RedEaglePatriot) July 9, 2021
I'm going to raise hell in Congress until Nick Fuentes, Alex Jones, and many others are allowed back on this platform. Political persecution must end NOW!
— Michael Sisco For Congress (@MichaelSiscoWV) July 9, 2021
Nick Fuentes never needed a Twitter. It's not where he earns his income or reaches his main audience. But it is the one site that the media uses to smear him. Banning Nick wasn't about harming his career, it was about taking away his ability to defend himself against their lies.
— Liberty Hangout (@LibertyHangout) July 9, 2021
More mainstream conservatives, including Matt Walsh of the Daily Wire and Michael Knowles, both unequivocally condemned Twitter’s actions. “The swift and utter unpersoning of Nick Fuentes should worry anyone who in any way contradicts the dominant liberal regime,” Knowles said, while Walsh said that it was a “huge problem” that Twitter banned him due to the demands of the ADL and SPLC.
Insane. Fuentes didn't break Twitter's rules. They banned him now because an activist group told them to. That's a huge problem, especially when they only do this kind of thing in one direction. https://t.co/DjdTj6mCHu
— Matt Walsh (@MattWalshBlog) July 9, 2021
The swift and utter unpersoning of Nick Fuentes should worry anyone who in any way contradicts the dominant liberal regime.
— Michael Knowles (@michaeljknowles) July 9, 2021
Others less aligned to Fuentes, including Ohio Senate candidate JD Vance and Newsmax host Steve Cortes, qualified their issues with the America First host, but still condemned his suspension. “Tech companies control what we’re allowed to say in our own country,” Vance said. “It has to stop.”
Nick Fuentes has been a giant troll (and IMO dishonest) in his attacks against me. Don’t care.
Tech companies control what we’re allowed to say in our own country. It has to stop. pic.twitter.com/lmSSzsDnxx
— J.D. Vance (@JDVance1) July 9, 2021
I know very little about Fuentes.
I’m opposed to the sampling of content I did see — but he absolutely should not be banned, nor should anyone unless they engage in criminal conduct on a platform. pic.twitter.com/XN8CjMctMx
— Steve Cortes (@CortesSteve) July 9, 2021
Nick Fuentes had me blocked on Twitter because I am a proud legal immigrant from Lebanon.
I still don't think Big Tech should have the power to silence his voice.
— Brigitte Gabriel (@ACTBrigitte) July 9, 2021
However, other “conservatives,” in seemingly condemning Twitter’s actions, made sure to viciously insult Fuentes when discussing his ban. Ben Shapiro described him as a “garbage person with garbage beliefs,” while Spencer Klavan labelled him as a “loathsome, execrable toad.”
Nick Fuentes is a garbage person with garbage beliefs. Twitter is also filled with lots of garbage people with garbage beliefs. Only certain people get banned. Nobody should trust Twitter's supposed free speech neutrality.
— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) July 9, 2021
That little twerp #NickFuentes is now the Rosa Parks of the civil liberties struggle in America. This is more than he deserves, but it’s a distinction the Left and the digital censors have unwittingly conferred on him
— Dinesh D'Souza (@DineshDSouza) July 9, 2021
I regret not saying this more explicitly when Alex Jones was axed, so I’ll say it now: this loathsome, execrable toad has rights like the rest of us and should not have been silenced. https://t.co/psMT1DdkIG
— Spencer A. Klavan (@SpencerKlavan) July 9, 2021
This sparked some backlash among those more aligned to America First. “At some point, the insults make the ban opposition disingenuous,” said Scott Greer. “How hard is it to just say: ‘it’s wrong to ban Nick Fuentes’?”
At some point, the insults make the ban opposition disingenuous. How hard is it to just say: "It's wrong to ban Nick Fuentes"? https://t.co/6GGqmaDfcz
— Scott Greer 6’2” IQ 187 (@ScottMGreer) July 9, 2021
Anti-Trump “conservatives” celebrated Fuentes’s removal. David French claimed that Twitter “isn’t stopping him from saying a single thing,” while Brad Polumbo slammed him for being a “vile, hateful troll who foments violence.”
He can go to Gab. White supremacists and Holocaust deniers are welcome there. Twitter isn't stopping him from saying a single thing. https://t.co/dgF5PQeove
— David French (@DavidAFrench) July 9, 2021
Following his removal, Fuentes announced an event, “America Uncanceled with Nick Fuentes,” on Saturday to compete with CPAC’s own “America Uncanceled” event in Dallas, Texas. The invite called those interested to “attend this historic event taking place within walking distance of CPAC in Dallas” with “venue location to be announced at 4:00 p.m. CST.” Fuentes also plans to live stream the event starting at 4:30 p.m. on his website.